This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Running blindspot as a normal user, can it be done?

Dec 4, 2014 at 3:57 AM
Hello,
Just installed the app, and got it up and running with my premium account information. However, now that I've got it configured, trying to run it as my normal user under windows7, I get an error and the application closes. I didn't see anything specific in the documentation, so figured I'd ask here.
Thanks.
Jeremy
Coordinator
Dec 5, 2014 at 11:15 PM
Hi Jeremy, thanks for getting in touch.

When you say normal user, do you mean a normal (as in non-admin) Windows user? Or do you mean normal user as in non-premium Spotify user? Just so I know what you mean here.

Craig
Dec 6, 2014 at 3:03 AM
Oops, my fault for not clarifying. I was talking about running the application from a normal user account on my windows7 machine, rather than having to start it from admin. I did notice that once it was started, I could use the windows plus control keys and arrows to move through my results and it would read things ok, however, things such as the search box were only partially visible, since they were running within the admin account. If I elevate NVDA to admin, it reads the application perfect, including typed characters in the search field there. Kind of a small matter now, just as long as my results are read ok, but, figured it was worth asking.
Thanks.
On 12/5/2014 5:15 PM, craigbrett17 wrote:

Hi Jeremy, thanks for getting in touch.

When you say normal user, do you mean a normal (as in non-admin) Windows user? Or do you mean normal user as in non-premium Spotify user? Just so I know what you mean here.

Craig

Coordinator
Dec 7, 2014 at 2:09 PM
How strange. And yes you should be able to.

I tried to replicate this. I changed my NVDA shortcut to not run as admin. Closed NVDA and opened it again and then launched Blindspot, and it seemed to go fine. Am I missing any steps here?

Thanks,
Craig
Dec 7, 2014 at 7:43 PM
Hmm, I'm not sure. Only thing I can think of, is that I can't run blindspot from anything but as an Administrator. I've a blindspot icon that I placed on my desktop, so, to run it, I have to use the run as admin option in the context menu there. If I try to run it normally, I get an error that says:

BlindSpot has stopped working:
Windows can check online for a solution to the problem.

Running it as an admin brings up the dialog box where I can enter my spotify account information and it launches ok. Being that I have to run it from admin, if I try to access any of the dialog boxes from within blindspot after it's running, such as the search box, things like characters entered there aren't visible to NVDA. The selection where you determine weather your searching for an artist, track or album works, ok, just that you can't see what you're entering into that field. Luckily though, using the keys to move about through the buffers works, and NVDA also reads those.
Take care.

On 12/7/2014 8:09 AM, craigbrett17 wrote:

I tried to replicate this. I changed my NVDA shortcut to not run as admin. Closed NVDA and opened it again and then launched Blindspot, and it seemed to go fine. Am I missing any steps here?

Thanks,
Craig

Dec 7, 2014 at 7:51 PM
Also, I'll note that I do have two users on my machine, one that I use to install software, run windoes updates, etc, which is my Administrator account, and a normal user that I do most everything else. Any time that I wish to install an application, after opening the executable for the app, I'm then asked for the password for my admin account and once I enter it and say yes to UAC, the install continues.
Take care.

On 12/7/2014 8:09 AM, craigbrett17 wrote:

Thanks,
Craig

Coordinator
Dec 28, 2014 at 12:09 PM
Ah, I seem to be able to replicate this. It seems to be whenever you run Blindspot under a different account than the one which you installed it from. It will then crash. Does this sound like your scenario?

Gonna move this into an issue again. Hope you don't mind. Hoping this will be a simple one to fix.
Coordinator
Dec 28, 2014 at 12:13 PM
This discussion has been copied to a work item. Click here to go to the work item and continue the discussion.